It’s autism awareness month. I want to be more aware.
So I decided to start by listing everything I think I know. That way, when I learn more, I can see what I have learned. Please note that these are what I think I know, rather than anything I have evidence for. Yet.
1. It’s a neurological thing
2. It’s environmental somehow.
3. Can’t directly diagnose, have to work from symptoms.
4. Can’t cure, have to accommodate.
5. More cases are showing up. But I don’t know if it’s because more are being diagnosed or more are happening.
6. Therapy is a conditioning thing
7. It’s somehow related to Dustin Hoffman in “Rainman”
8. Not an IQ issue.
9. Not genetic.
10. Often invisible to people looking.
11. Often involves repeated motions.
12. Doesn’t usually result in institutionalization.
13. Can’t just snap out of it, but can seem to snap into it.
14. Lack of awareness by other people adds to the frustration parents already feel.
15. There are a bunch of related conditions.
16. I don’t know what to call autism.
17. I have friends for whom autism isn’t an abstract concept.
So, if you don’t have personal contact with autism, what do you think you know about autism? Don’t look it up. Just leave a comment.
And, you may want to get this window into what autism looks like.