We all have them. People around us who don’t know as much as we do. And every time we discover that, we have choices.
1. Ridicule them. “You don’t know that? Everyone knows that.”
2. Ignore them. “Let’s move on.”
3. Gossip about them. “Can you believe the idiots I have to work with?”
4. Teach them. “Can I explain how do to that?”
5. Look at them. Is it possible that because they are 20 years younger and don’t have children they may not know how to change a diaper? Is it possible that because they are doing ___ for the first time, they haven’t benefited from learning what you have learned by messing this up 147 times?
6. Listen to them. “What do you think we could do?”
7. Honor them. “You made choices that kept you from having the experiences I have had.”
8. Mentor them. “To get to where you want to go, there are some ways to develop your strengths. Can I talk with you every so often?”
Your turn. What are the next 8?