I was thinking in the shower the other day about setting some goals and how I avoid setting goals and instead do things like choosing words for the new year, themes to work on, if you will, and suddenly, as I thought about goals I thought, “I’m not that kind of person. ”
And then I thought, “so. What if you did try that?”
- What if, though I’m not as structured as some people, I did try a little more structure?
- What if, though I’m not as organized as other people, I didn’t use that as an excuse and I tried a little more organization?
- What if, though I don’t set goals like, “25 pounds off in the next 6 months” or “no desserts ever”, I did make a point of one less cookie?
- What if, though I don’t say things like “I will read a book a week this year”, I did make a point to read and summarize a book a month?
- What if, though I can’t imagine not multi-tasking, I tried doing one thing at a time for one morning at a time?
- What if, though I never tag the pictures I upload, I did?
- What if, though I never reread a post, I took the time to do so?
- What if, though I’m always flexible, I set some dates in stone?
- What if, though I always keep my options open, I didn’t?
- What if, though I never _______, I decided to occasionally ________?
Obviously, my list all skews toward me. But that gives you the option to think about you. What if, instead of using “I’m not that kind of person” as an excuse, you used it as a starting point?
I’m taking a step toward “a little more intentional” as this year ends and we move into the next.
- What if I paid a little more attention to how I write and teach: Tell It Slant: A Conversation on the Language of Jesus in His Stories and Prayers ( Eugene Peterson)
- What if I paid a little more attention to how I structure my relating: Jesus Driven Ministry (Ajith Fernando)
- What if I paid a little more attention to identifying what matters: A Sense of Urgency (John Kotter)
- What if I paid a little more attention to focus: The Power of Focus: What the Worlds Greatest Achievers Know about The Secret of Financial Freedom and Success (Canfield, Hansen, Hewitt)
- What if I paid a little more attention: ERV The Everyday Reading Bible: Flex-Cover (Burgundy)
I’ll tell you more about what I read as I read.